Thursday, June 24, 2010

TRUCKER isn't entirely awful!

I had taken a day or two off from writing these reviews, and I was trying to remember everything I had seen. I knew I was forgetting one, and wracked my already-considerably-wracked brain going through my shelves trying to find what it was.


Yes, it was TRUCKER, a little indie film that had been on my radar for a few years due to the presence of KISS KISS BANG BANG-alum Michelle Monaghan and Our Last Great Hope, Nathan Fillion. This should have been right up my alley - a valiantly struggling indie film with a killer cast and a nice intimate narrative scope.

Unfortunately, unable to recall much about the film leaves me in the unfortunate position of having to assume that it didn't do too much for me. Here's a brief summary of what I do remember:

- Michelle Monaghan is really pretty.
- Michelle Monaghan is really pretty, even when she's pretty sad and grumpy most of the time.
- Nathan Fillion shows up for a scene or two to talk about becoming a man, but he's a hypocrite because he's cheating on his wife with Ms. Monaghan. I'm not really sure what his purpose is in the movie until the movie makes him a symbol and blatantly tells me why he's here in the third act.
- Benjamin Bratt plays one of the least convincing cancer patients I've ever seen.

This is not to say that TRUCKER is entirely awful. I seem to remember a scene or two between Ms. Monaghan and her estranged son that resembled a realistically portrayed relationship. The cast is fine, but the script is weak, jumping days and weeks ahead in the story and never able to settle into a single discernable mood or arc. The resolutions are incredibly weak and feel tacked on to achieve some sense of finality.

TRUCKER isn't the worst indie I've ever seen, but it's certainly one I'll never watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment