Wednesday, June 2, 2010

IRON MAN 2: Better the second time

OK, I'll admit it: I've got a giant man-crush on Robert Downey, Jr. And I don't think I'm alone.
Ever since 2005's KISS KISS BANG BANG (a film that you need to see), Downey Jr. has been putting together a string of strong performances in both quiet (Charlie Bartlett, Fur, A Scanner Darkly) and loud (Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man) ways. I'd challenge you to name an actor who's been doing better, more interesting work over the last five years. Hell, I'm even willing to forget that he was in that SHAGGY DOG excuse for a movie (he's right there at 0:54 for a mercifully brief two seconds for those that want to skip the obligatory "Who Let the Dogs Out?" music cue). The man strikes me as one of the most intelligent working in the craft today.

All of which is a long, overlinked way of getting to my IRON MAN 2 review.



The first time I saw it I was considerably underwhelmed, if that's a word (I can't help it with the links today). Among my list of complaints? The action was geographically confusing, the film was overly infatuated with the Pepper-Tony banter, and that Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell weren't given enough to do. But most of all, I really disliked what I perceived to be the darker, more serious tone of the sequel.

The second time around? I had fun. I love the world-changing conversation between Tony and Nick Fury that takes place in a crummy little donut shop. I love the design. I love looking at Scarlett Johansson. I love the dude with the strawberries. I love that Tony synthesizes a new element. I love Scarlett Johansson in a tiger-print dress (although I'm not sure how she pulled a wardrobe change that fast). Etc.

I still have complaints, but they're small in the larger story. I still think the action is not particularly well-filmed (but then again, I didn't like when Genndy Tartakovsky did the pre-vis for Episode II either - someone has to explain to this man the difference between what is acceptable in animation and reality), and that Favreau has a tremendous affinity for Tony and Pepper's back-and-forth will-they-won't-they thing that is never particularly deserved, and that Mickey Rourke is essentially collecting a paycheque, but you know what? This is a big, comic-book movie in the best sense of the word. I'm sure this will be subject to quite a few fond re-watches in the years to come.

In my golden years, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment